Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fighting The Tithe pt2

Yesterday I had the tithe on my heart. I spoke about the devourer... and how real he is! I also spoke briefly of honor - honoring salvation delivered. But there is another aspect of this.

Mar 12:41-44 MKJV
(41) And sitting down opposite the treasury, Jesus watched how the people threw copper coins into the treasury. And many rich ones threw in much.
(42) And a certain poor widow came, and she threw in two lepta, which is a kodrantes.
(43) And He called His disciples and said to them, Truly I say to you that this poor widow has cast in more than all those who have cast into the treasury.
(44) For all cast in from their abundance. But she, out of her poverty, has cast in all that she had, all her livelihood.

It's interesting, isn't it, that Jesus did not one time mention the uselessness of giving to an ineffective ministry. He didn't complain that the widow's stewardship was obviously lacking... having given to a corrupt priesthood (and it surely was). Nor did He marvel that the widow didn't ask first where her money was going!

Again, this is what I hear the most from "mature" Christians who struggle with the tithe.

"Well, I just want to give it where it's being used for the right thing."
"I don't like the direction the church is headed."
"If I can't dictate what it's being spent on, I'm just going to hang on to it."

Jesus sat and watched those who were giving. His interest was in one thing. Who is really HONORING God? Who has faith? Those are still His questions.

No comments: